OVERVIEW OF RDCIS
The Research & Development Centre for Iron & Steel (RDCIS) is corporate R&D unit of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL). It is India’s premier research organization in the field of ferrous metallurgy. The main Centre, located at Ranchi, was established in 1972 and its modern Laboratory Complex started functioning from 1986.
The main objectives are to pursue basic research programs to innovate new processes and develop new products. RDCIS also facilitate SAIL plants to improve key performance indices related to quality, productivity, yield through diagnostic and research approach. Equipped with more than 350 advanced diagnostic equipment and 5 pilot facilities under 15 major laboratories, RDCIS undertakes research projects encompassing the entire spectrum of iron and steel -starting from raw materials to finished products. The Centre is continuously engaged in improving the process parameters, development of value added products, energy conservation, improvement in product quality, up-gradation of existing technologies and introduction of newtechnologies in the plants and units of SAIL. The Centre has acquired several patents and copyrights during the last few years.
While making significant contributions to the overall performance of SAIL, RDCIS has developed and introduced innovative systems and procedures which have enabled quantification of inputs, outputs and measurement of the performance. Highest priority and attention is accorded to the customer needs and the Centre delivers the technological services to the full satisfaction of the customers. RDCIS enters into collaboration agreements with leading research and academic institutes, from time to time, both from India and abroad. Some of the leading collaborating institutes from abroad have been TSNIICHERMET from Russia, National Science Foundation of USA etc. The Centre collaborates with the IITs, IISc, CSIR laboratories and other reputed organizations of India.
While catering primarily to the needs of the SAIL plants and units, RDCIS has opened its doors for other public and private sector organizations in India and abroad. RDCIS can transfer some of its proven technologies to other organizations, provide technical consultancy, render specialized testing services, undertake contract research and conduct training program. RDCIS has consistently enhanced its capabilities over the years. This has been possible due to the highly dedicated team of technical and scientific personnel, possessing high level of expertise and wealth of experience matching the best available elsewhere . RDCIS has developed a broad spectrum of expertise which can readily be utilized for solving complex problems in numerous technological disciplines. Major activities of the Centre extend from developing new products processes to guiding contract research program for specific needs of the steel industry. In addition, the Centre also imparts training on multifaceted technology of iron and steel production. RDCIS is accredited with ISO – 9001: 2000 Certification which was awarded by M/s. Lloyds Register of Quality Assurance (LRQA ), UK. To obtain ISO – 9001 certification, RDCIS had to resolve the innate conflict between standardization and creativity. These two aspects have been stimulating and reinforcing each other to propel RDCIS to achieve new peaks of excellence in its performance. RDCIS takes customer as a partner in its innovations and is prepared to meet the challenges ahead.
Major Research Facilities
The research facilities comprise of 15 major laboratories encompassing 6 pilot facilities and 350 equipment and advanced diagnostic facilities. The pilot facilities and major Major Research Facilities The research facilities comprise of 15 major laboratories encompassing 6 pilot facilities and 350 equipment and advanced diagnostic facilities. The pilot facilities and major laboratories are listed below;
- Pilot Plants & Simulation facilities
- Pilot Coke Oven
- Pot Sintering
- Experimental Hot / Cold Rolling Mill
- Combustion Research Unit for design & testing of burners
- Thermo-mechanical simulator (Gleeble system)
- Hot dip process simulator for coated products
- Coal Carbonization Laboratory
- Mineral Beneficiation
- Sintering and Agglomeration
- High temperature reduction
- Melting and Solidification
- PLC and Software development
- Physical metallurgy
- Mechanical Testing
- Chemical analysis and corrosion engineering
- Computational laboratory
VISION, GOALS AND POLICIES
Vision of RDCIS
“Achieve excellence in technological expertise and to fulfil the needs of the steel plants and customers”
Goals of RDCIS
- Obtain 75% of its annual budget from the SAIL plants through pursuit of plant based on R&D projects and the balance 25% from SAIL corporate office.
- Develop market specific products in line with changing consumption pattern of steel and exports plant of SAIL.
- Develop competence of an international level in specific technological area.
- File every year an average of 4 international and 10 national patents and publish 25 papers in journals of internationally excellent standards.
The salient features of the Mission of RDCIS entail the following:
- Promote originality, foster creativity and expand knowledge base through the pursuit of carefully selected R&D programme.
- Develop RDCIS’s human resources and facilities to achieve and sustain technological excellence.
- Complement SAIL plant’s efforts to continuously enhance Customer Satisfaction, Quality, Productivity, Profitability and Marketability of their products
Quality Policy of RDCIS
- RDCIS shall continuously strive to satisfy both its internal and external customers and establish itself as a peer among the R&D organization of internal repute by; Implementing quality assurance system in all its activities.
- Generating reliable data and analyzing them to provide innovative solutions to customer’s technological problems.
- Pursuing R&D programmes to enlarge its knowledge an intellectual capital. Developing human resource to achieve technological excellence.